Saturday, November 3, 2007

Thing 14, Reliable Online Resources

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the Reliable Online Resources (ROR) available on the St. Paul Technology page and for the most part they are a fabulous source of information. I actually think my kids are even starting to use them. BUT, there have been times, while standing in front of an entire class, expounding on their tremendous value, that I have come up with no hits, even after trying alternative search terms. Now that's embarrassing!

So, sometimes you have to go in the back door. I'll admit it. I'll go to Google and see what I can find there and gather what searching ideas I can. I've even gone so far as to search the databases first to see what information I can find and then create the assignment because there's nothing more defeating than not being able to find info when you've been told it's out there. I can do that because 1. I'm the teacher :) and 2. the assignment is not really an research project but an exercise in becoming acquainted in the new world of ROR, often uncharted water for my google swimmers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Using Google to gather search terms is an honorable tradtion among librarians :-) Same as using books or journals to get a sense of what is out there!

Leslie said...

I want you to teach me how to grab all these cool photos and images from all over to place in your blog. Give the woman and new toy and away she goes! Nice going!
Leslie E.